Yay!! We have a baby! Here is our story.
AUGUST 11, 2009:
7:00 am.
Colby and I get up. He showers and I call Alta View hospital to see what time we can check in for the induction. They say there is no room for us. I lay back down and feel sorry for myself.
7:30 am.
Alta View calls back and says to come over at 8. I jump for joy!!
8 am - 10 am
We check in, do the paperwork, and get to our room. We are in our room for about an hour before anyone comes in. Finally a nurse comes to us and gets the medication going and we wait.
11:00 am
Dr. Smith comes in and breaks my water.
1:00 pm
Dr. Smith and my nurse suggest that now is the time to be getting my epidural. I actually was not in that much pain, but they said it was now or never. They make the call to the anesthesiologist.
3:15 pm
Dr. Timmons is the anesthesiologist on call that day. He wheels in a red Craftsman tool box. I'm not kidding. Just the tool box is terrifying. I'm thinking, I changed my mind. I don't want this. They talk me into it anyway. I lay on my left side and he starts the procedure. He says that I will feel a jolt down my legs or up my back. I feel nothing. Great. He finishes up and leaves the room. My nurse says it will be about 15 minutes until I feel any pain relief.
3:35 pm
My nurse calls Dr. Timmons back. He comes right in (with his freakish toolbox) and says that he didn't feel the ligament pop like it should so he didn't think it worked. Seriously? You put this into my back, didn't think that it worked and left anyway? Thanks. He takes everything out and moves one vertebrae up my back and does it again. This time he actually tells me the ligament did not pop again, so it may not work. My nurse talks Colby into going to get some food and everyone leaves the room so I can rest.
4:00 pm
My pain skyrockets. I just lay there and feel bad for myself until my nurse comes in to help. She sees that the epidural is not doing its job. We decide that when it is time to push the anesthesiologist will come in to do a sit up block. Apparently epidurals work by gravity, so the theory behind the sit up block is that it will all pool to the bottom when you sit up. I say okay. Third time is a charm, right?
5:00 pm
Colby comes back from lunch. He went to Bajio and comes in shaking his cup back and forth. The nurse says hello, and then tells him to grab a leg. We are about to push. The color totally drains from his face. I'm thinking he will barf for sure. Dr. Timmons comes back to give me more anesthetic for the sit up block ( I think its sugar water).
5:45 pm
Now we actually start to push. I am numb from my ribs to my belly button, and then from my upper thighs to my feet. I can feel everything else. REALLY FEEL IT. Push, push, push.
6:45 pm
Dr. Smith comes in. He says the baby is sideways. They are supposed to come out face down. So he turns him. Lucas says that isn't how he wants to do it, and turns right back. Push, push, push. We need to call for the vacuum. It pops off the first time. Dr. Smith says if it pops off a second time, we cant use it again. POP!! Okay, its all on me. No more help. Push, push, push. Colby does not barf.
7:03 pm
The baby is out!! He is real! He is gorgeous! He is mine! I start bawling (I am now too). He is crying and I'm happy about it. I wanted to know he could breathe. He stops crying and I freak out. What is wrong??!! Why did he stop? They say, he is sucking on his fingers. And then I can hear him sucking. AWW!!! I start bawling again. They weigh him, 6 lbs. 14 oz. What? I was for sure he would be 12 pounds!! Dr. Smith says he didn't think this baby was going to come out. He thought we were about to have a C-section. So scary!! I was really relieved that it all went okay.
7:30 pm
Lucas has high respiration and his heart rate is quick so they need to take him to the nursery. Colby goes with him, but came right back because the nurses couldn't have him in there. We call our parents and send out a text to everybody else.
They move us into the recovery room and all three of us slept until the next morning.
AUGUST 12, 2009
Lucas' first visitors came at 8 in the morning! Of course it was his Nana and Grandpa Wilde. Then Mandy, Tessa and Asher came.
Angie Sargent from work came.
Cheryl was next.
Mom came back with Joe.
Mandy came back with Matt.
Then his Grandma and Grandpa Whitney came.
Then Jamie & Justin and their family came.
If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry. I don't think I was taking too many drugs, but the whole day feels like a blur. It was a long day and Luke had a long night. He cried a lot. Colby and I went to the nursery a couple of times and they told us nothing was wrong with him. He was still crying and I was sooooo tired. Colby took him in his bassinet and walked the halls for about 40 minutes. At 6 am the nurse came in to take Lucas to get his hearing test redone (he failed one ear the first day) and to do other tests. Colby and I slept for the next hour. Our pediatrician came in the next morning and told us Lucas was hungry and that is why he was crying so much. I was a little upset that the nurses suggest he may be hungry. We asked for a bottle and as soon as he swallowed he raised his little eyebrows and then chowed down! He was happy after that. We checked out at noon on Thursday the 13th.
It wasn't weird to bring him home like I thought it would be. It was like we have always had him.
The hospital called a little later and said they were sending a billi bed over because Lucas had a little jaundice. We put him on it and Colby read the instructions and it freaked him out so we were taking baby's temperature like every 15 minutes. The next day they sent another chest piece for the billi bed and we were for sure he was going to get cooked in there. We had to take him everyday for blood tests to check his billiruben. He was on the bed for a little over a week. I was so excited when he didn't have to be on it anymore. We put him on the floor and let him move around. He was grunting and groaning. Its so funny! He still does it.
We love him so much. Its so cliche, but it really changes your life. Definitely for the better. You really don't know what its like until you have one. Colby and I are part of the parent club now and we like it.
I promise to play with him a little less and keep the blog updated!
P.S. My proofreader is Elk hunting, so if I have terrible grammar I apologize.
Finally!
ReplyDeleteGreat birth story - your grammar is lovely :)
Now you need to post some pictures! You'll probably have to put Luke down to do that...so I'll expect them next year sometime. Maybe after he starts walking and can run away from you!
Oh, finally!!!! Thank goodness Mandy put pictures of him up so I would really know what he looks like. He is darling and so are you, little Mommy!!!!! Thanks for the update and thanks to Mandy for the pictures. Can't wait to see him live and in person.
ReplyDeleteGreat story-you will remember that forever! Glad you all are adjusting. He is so adorable!! Still waiting for that family picture I took of you guys. Let's do lunch.
ReplyDeleteSounds so familiar! Weird that whole child birth thing isn't it! Its so true what you said about you don't know until you have one. I feel like I was let in on the big secret, its great. Can't wait to see our babies play together soon!
ReplyDeleteWhat a story! Even though I heard it first hand from you guys, it was still fun to read. I'm so glad everything worked out so well. Luke is so handsome!
ReplyDelete