We had a road rally to celebrate my birthday this year. I was worried that my friends wouldn't have a good time, but in the end it seemed like everyone did.
It started early afternoon on a Saturday. I was hoping that it wouldn't rain, but it did and it wasn't that big of a deal. Everyone met at my house and the drivers meeting was held downstairs. We all put our car keys in a bowl and went out in the order that they were drawn.
Colby and I were first to go. We got our set of directions and headed off to checkpoint one. We didn't even make it off our street before he told me I was reading the directions wrong! I kept forgetting we had a worksheet to fill out so we missed a few questions. We got really close to checkpoint one and thought for sure we had beaten my dad there, but then we saw him going 100 mph off the freeway into the parking lot! Then we got the second set of directions and headed toward checkpoint two.
One of the stops required getting out of the car and I made Colby go. As soon as he got out it started raining so hard! I felt bad! After that we ended up at the Gateway and I felt like I might pee my pants, so we stopped. Then we headed toward the next checkpoint and saw JD & Joelle on the road. I begged Colby to drive super fast and pass them, but he wouldn't. Then we pulled up next to Mike & Cheryl at a light. We beat them off the line and made a couple lights they didn't and got back ahead.
At checkpoint three we thought we got there first (turns out Matt & Mandy had been and gone) and were backing out and it seemed like the whole group pulled in at the same time! Justin Brimhall got out of his truck and ran to get his directions first. I laughed all the way back to my house.
I don't even remember who won what. The prizes were dumb on purpose. I thought it was funny that people actually wanted to win (bragging rights I'm sure, not the GMAC backpacks). I know Tyler thought he'd won and Cheryl was for sure she had. I ended up just handing out prizes so the yelling would stop :) We all ate dinner after and Mandy made me a cute birthday cake.
I'm really glad that we decided to do this. I think everyone had a great time. Thanks Dad & Mom for all the work you put into this. I know it took a lot of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment