Monday, March 16, 2009

Ultrasound Day

We had the big ultrasound today. Colby took the day off work and we headed to the new IMC hospital. The billing department called me last Thursday to pre-register me so I didn't have to fill out any forms when I got there, which I thought was cool. I asked for directions and they sent me to the out patient care center. We got there about 15 minutes early which was great because we'd been sent to the wrong building. After that we ended up at the women and newborn center and it was the right place.

We checked in for the appointment and waited in our seats. I was trying to control myself and not have a complete anxiety attack and Colby read a magazine about the new version of the Hennessey Camaro (it should be priced over $100,000, dream on!).

They called our name and we headed to our room with an ultrasound tech. She spent about 45 minutes with us looking at the baby. The head and brain looked normal, the bones in the arms and legs measured right, and the kidneys are both there. She said there were a few things she couldn't see, so she sent in another tech.

The next tech re-measured everything the first girl had and then measured more. The baby has a four chamber heart and good intestines and there was fluid in the bladder and belly which means those systems are working. She said everything looked healthy and there was no need for concern. The baby also decided he would show off his parts too :) She said to stay in the room and wait for a genetics counselor to come and talk to us.

When the genetic counselor came in she asked us family history types of questions and wanted to know if we had any extra concerns (she asked us like 50 times, Colby started to get annoyed). She said they all felt good about this pregnancy and felt like the baby was healthy and that we don't have a lot to be concerned about. Then she said that they'd like to see us in future pregnancies. We felt like there were mixed signals with that comment, but I can ask Dr. Smith about that another time.

We left the hospital, got some lunch and then headed for the store. I already had an idea of how I wanted to tell our parents what the baby is. When we told Ray and Toni we were pregnant on Christmas, Ray was excited to get a duck boat. So I thought it would be cute to buy a plastic boat in blue and have a rubber ducky on it. Plastic boats do not exist. We looked all over Wal-Mart (Colby's favorite store). We settled on a duck that looked like he was in a boat. Then we went to drop them off at the parents houses.

We went to my parents house first. The only times I don't want them to be there, they are. Mandy and I went over to steal pictures for Christmas and my dad was there. We pull up to their driveway and my dad was there. I wanted it to be a surprise, but I guess it was good enough. Then we went to Ray and Toni's.

All in all we are really excited about having a new baby boy. We are happy that he is looking healthy and growing the way he is supposed to.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures!
    Is it just me, or does your kid look like he already has giant hands?
    You know what they say about big hands...
    Oh, wait - that's feet.
    Anyway, he's cute already!!!

    ReplyDelete