Tony Stewarts car up close!!!
This is less than a quarter of the parking at the track. Its hard to tell how huge everything is.
View of the grand stands from our seats.
New Camaro pace car!!!
Kevin Harvick, me, and Colby
I really have wanted to tell about our trip to Phoenix, but I've just been lazy. We went over a month ago. Nascar race weekend at the Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) was the weekend of April 17. When I decided to go I knew that I would be pretty pregnant and showing quite a bit, so Colby had to go too. Unfortunately for me, Colby hasn't caught the NASCAR bug. He really does not enjoy being there. He was a good sport and tried hard.
We left our house Friday morning and left my car at my parents house and rode to the airport with them. We got talking in the truck and dad missed the exit. Joe was actually the one that said "Uh, aren't we supposed to be over there?". Oh well. We turned around and got there. All of us checked in successfully and got on the plane. I'm skipping the next part of the story because its a ton of drama and won't ever be resolved. Long story short, the fantastic flight crew on Delta flight 1113 served peanuts on the flight. Whatever. I'm alive still.
Okay. So we arrived in Phoenix and took our things to the hotel and had some lunch. Joe and dad headed to the track for the Nationwide race and Cup qualifying. Me, Colby and mom got ready to go shopping. Colby decided he wanted a Starbucks on the way to the mall so we stopped and he went in and ordered one. We were there forever! It was crazy. We are all used to Utah Starbucks that aren't very busy, but out of state they are very busy. It took him like half and hour to get his drink. Mom and I just sat in the car and laughed the entire time. Every person that came out had at least 4 drinks!
The next day we headed to the race track around noon. It was a night race (which are my favorite), so you get to sleep in a little bit. We were lucky enough to have the Chevrolet suite (thanks dad!) so we got great parking and headed right up to check in. Inside the suite they gave us all American Revolution t-shirts, little cars and just some cute souvenirs. We all shopped and walked around in the heat. After that we went back to the suite and me, Colby and dad got to go down to the garage area. (Joe was pissed, but you have to be 18) This was the first year I wasn't asked for my drivers license to verify my age! Ha! They told us that we were going to meet Kevin Harvick. He is dad's favorite driver. So we all took something to be signed. I wore one of the American Revolution t-shirts for him to sign. They let us go at our own pace in the garage and take all the pictures we wanted. Colby had fun taking pics of the new camaro pace car. Its pretty awesome up close. I made Tony Stewarts crewmen take a picture with me. We asked a lot of questions and then went inside Harvick's hauler. We talked with the head engine builder and then Kevin came in and answered questions. We got some good pictures with him also and then headed back up to the suite.
Once we were in the suite, I handed Joe the camera so he could see what we saw. He immediately pointed out that I look like I'm wearing a sleeping bag in all of the pictures. (He's right) Oh. I forgot I had that huge t-shirt on the entire time! Oh well! We ate and then headed outside for the start of the race. When they sing the national anthem at a race they have a fly over by the closest air force base. I'm pretty sure this is Colby's favorite part of the whole thing. It is really cool. We stayed outside for about the first 50-60 laps. Baby was moving all around. Colby said he didn't like it, but I think he loved it! He is so excited to be a race baby! We went back inside and watched the rest of the race from the inside of the suite. It was a good race. Mark Martin won and he drives a Chevy, so it was cool to be there with Chevy people.
A couple of weeks ago Colby and I were at a friends house and there happened to be a race on that night. I asked if we could watch it before we came over. I was watching and my friend Jamie asked "Do you really like this?" It was in a nice way that she asked. I don't know why, but I really do. I love to watch and I love going to races. I love to take an opportunity when one comes up and I selfishly hope this isn't the last race I get to go to. Its a really long day for a baby to go to so I don't know when I'll be able to do it again. Only time will tell :)
Oh my heck!!!!! That Tony Stewart car is so cool. You just made my day--the whole story of Phoenix and a fantastic picture of Tony's car!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, and Colby is the MAN!!!! What a great sport.
ReplyDelete